Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Running

We all remember getting up at 8:30 during summer vacation. In my memory Mom decided that we were wasting our mornings sleeping in and watching tv, and that we needed to be more productive. I remember agreeing with her that if we got up and ran 1 mile to the end of the river road and back, we could come home and enjoy a whole hour of the Price is Right. Mom always ran it as well. We never had to run it fast, but we just had to do the whole mile. I think we all loved it. Who could hate getting up and going running in the crisp summer air? It is a memory that will remain with me forever. And who knows, maybe that is what really started my running career.

I also remember when Ben started track in junior high. I remember that when he came home from practice he would take Lauren and I out on a short run and teach us everything he had learned. I remember one day in particular we were running towards the river road and Ben was teaching us about how to hold your hands to get into a good running form. Mr E. had told him to pretend like he was holding a raw egg in his hands and to keep them relaxed. I still owe my hand running form to Ben. I got made fun of a bit in college because I hold 'the egg' with my thumbs in the air so sometimes it looks like I am giving thumbs up to everyone.

*Lesley


No comments:

Post a Comment