Saturday, July 14, 2012

The Extra Mile Award

Mom and dad were always trying to devise new plans to help us kids help around the house.  I remember different posters and such that would be placed around the house to remind us of chores we had to do.  Most of the time though, we were just expected it help...no allowance, no reward.  It was our job and duty as a member of the family to pitch in and help around the house.  I do remember dreading certain jobs, but overall I think we were pretty good workers.  Mom would slowly have to train us to clean "her way" and we would slowly learn that it was faster to clean Mom's way the first time then to continue to have mom check our room a hundred times and find everything stuffed under our beds or in the backs of the closets.

One FHE Mom and Dad started the Extra Mile Award.  Each week Mom and Dad would have a different "surprise" for the person who had gone the extra mile that week.

I don't remember when I got the award exactly but I remember being so shocked and proud of myself.  That evening we were waiting for Dad to come home from work or something but he was very late and we had to start getting ready for bed.  Mom gathered us together and we didn't have time for aall of FHE but she wanted to present the Extra Mile Award.  Then she went on to tell all the wonderful things she had noticed that I had done for her or others that week.  It was simple things that I did without even noticing like helping pack a lunch, letting someone else get on the bus first, taking a turn weeding without complaining....but I really remember the PRIZE.  And I kept it for a very long time.  When we moved I think it finally had to go.  It was a giraffe card mom had made that opened up and the giraffe's neck got longer.  It said "Extra Mile Award." on it.  It also came with two new pencils.  It was so special to me and I know I will never forget it.

Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment