I am sure that we all have some stories about Seminary, but 3 are sticking out in my mind right now and they both involve driving.
1) During my sophomore year in high school, we were living out at Lake Blaine. One particularly cold winter morning, we all woke up early to head into seminary. There was a blizzard outside, and I don't know why we thought we could make it. We watched the news for a bit, but no school closures were announced, so we were on our way.
When I was in high school, I hadn't discovered a diffuser or blow dryer yet, so I would wet my hair, but some mousse in it, and head out the door. Since seminary was so early, my hair was usually dry by the time school started.
Ben drove and Lauren and I rode in the car as we headed down the road. I remember it was hard to tell where the road was. We thought we were doing pretty good until all of a sudden we hit a huge drift and were completely stuck. We were worried we were right in the middle of the road, but when we got out of the car, we were amazed to see that we were well off the road. We started walking back to the house, probably about a mile to a mile and a half away. I remember my hair freezing within a few minutes. We didn't walk for long before someone saw us and brought us home. But I remember being so cold, and remember when Ben and Dad went to get the car out later, how amazed they were at how off the road we went.
2) Another story I have doesn't involve snow. We made it to seminary just fine, but sometimes Ben had a tendency to skip out early. I have no idea what he did half the time (sometimes slept in the car, sometimes hang out with friends maybe). Well, he had skipped out early and when seminary got out we realized Ben had left us at the church with no way of getting to school. Lauren and I waited, but I remember being so mad that I had to wait. I don't know why we didn't walk to school or catch a ride with someone else.
Ben must have left the keys in the car because Lauren and I got this bright idea that we could drive the car to school. We had our permits or licenses, but we hadn't learned to drive stick shift. We decided that one of us would drive and steer and push the clutch, and the other would switch gears. We did really well until we hit the stop light, and then we could not get that car to move. And everyone was trying to get to school so eventually there was a huge back up in the street.
Meanwhile Ben had gone back to the church and found the car gone, headed towards school, and saw the huge backup. I don't know if he thought we had gotten in a wreck, or if he just knew we were stuck. He came and got in the car and got us to school in no time. We didn't try to drive again, but I don't think he left us alone with the keys and car again.
3) The last story is from when we were living at Riverside. Lauren and I were headed to seminary. It was really foggy that day, and Lauren was driving if I remember right. We had been driving really slow hoping to get make it out of the fog once we reached the top of the big hill. We made just over a mile from home when out of the fog appeared an enormous cow. Standing right in the middle of the road. We swerved to miss it, but ended up hitting the cow. It knocked the passenger side view mirror off. I remember Lauren telling me to jump out of the car and grab it, but with a huge cow/bull standing right next to me, there was no way I was getting out. I am not sure what we did about it.
We turned around and headed home in shock and tears. I remember going in and telling mom all about it. We thought she would be concerned about us/the car but her first question was, "Well, how is the cow?" We had no idea how the cow was. I remember her telling us we didn't have to go to seminary, but for some reason we did anyway.
But, we had quite the story to tell all our friends at school, but when I think back on it, how in the world does someone hit a cow? It must have been really foggy.
*Lesley
No comments:
Post a Comment