Sundays. What a great time to live on riverside and to spend the day. We had our regular Sunday rules: no riding bikes, watching tv (except the occasional church movie we could "rent" from church), swimming or jumping on the tramp. We would come home from church, and after making the tradiational Sunday dinner of mexican food, we would have the rest of the day to explore.
I remember telling Mom and Dad, "I will never take a nap. I am not tired in the middle of the day, expessially a day I get off of school." So while they rested (a rarity for Dad who was always in the bishopric) we would have to play 'quietly", which usually meant going outside.
I remember we would all try and play together but often ended up all wanting to do different things, so we came up with Buddy Day. We would alternate who was buddies with who and we would say that we would only spend the afternoon doing things with that one sibling. I remember being in Lindsey's room upstairs, with the slanted attic ceilings and cutting out magazines or adding to her "boy" wall (haha). I also remember trying perm-a-day and makeup, since she was the expert (and still is :). If I was paired with Ben I remember one winter walking to the middle of our 20 acres and pretending to ice skate and fish on the frozen water that had accumulated there. With Ben we were usually in a barn spying on cars or pretending to be a baseball team. If I was paired with Lesley we would almost always pretend. We had pretty good imaginations and would pretend we were just about anything, usually making up new names for ourselves like Haley and Elizabeth. One of our favorite things to pretend was that we were twins mixed up at birth and just met each other, or orphans.
These buddy days would usually not last all day because soneone would think of a really good idea and we would all want to join in. But it was really fun getting to know that sibling a little better when we actually did it.
*Lauren*
No comments:
Post a Comment