Thursday, April 19, 2012

Creston School

Now that I have kids, I realize how lucky we were to be able to go to a school like Creston. I often tell Cameron stories about the whole school fitting on the school bus to go rollerskating, or playing games against all the other grades to see who got to go first in line for hot lunch (a special monthly treat!). I even remember our basketball team singing at our coach's (Rob Quist's) Christmas concert, and one year performing the macarena during half time of one of our basketball games. 

I have too many memories of Creston, but I will list a few:

  • Performing Shakespeare plays in Mrs. E's class. I think we all did this. Lauren and I did Julius Caesar. Then after we all memorized lines and practiced over and over, our parents got to come during school and watch the performance. 
  • Recess. Playing on the huge slide and teeter totters. I remember both as being huge. I wish they were still there because I don't know if they were huge or if I was just little. Eventually they got taken down for safety reasons. 
  • Standing by the recess aide and trying to convince her the whole time that you should get to ring the bell when recess was over. It was so fun to pull the rope and ring the bell on top of the school. 
  • Going to the roller rink every year as a school. Fourth graders always got to go first because they had to take the big achievement tests. 
  • Riding our bikes to school from our house. It seemed so long. I think it was 2 miles. Then hiding our bikes behind the school. After school we would go to Myrtle's to get a treat and then take our time riding home. 
  • Looking for Monopoly game pieces after the Creston auction. We would collect them as a class and see if we could win anything. 
  • The end of the school year field day. I especially remember tug-o-war with the big rope. Boys vs. girls. 
  • Riding the long bus ride home through Many Lakes. I also remember Glenn, the bus driver. He would wait for us if we forgot to feed the chickens before school, or if we were running late. 
  • Sitting on the big tree at the end of the driveway waiting to see when the bus was coming. 
  • Hot lunch. $1.50 for one slice of pizza, $2.00 for two. Usually Dominos. 
I know I will think of a lot more things to add. But we never realized how lucky we were to go to Creston school. 
*Lesley*

No comments:

Post a Comment