We had a lot of chickens growing up. I remember we at least had one rooster, if not more. The one rooster that sticks out most in my mind is Chipmunk. Chipmunk was so cute when he was little. He was different than the normal chickens we had because he was darker in color, and had some stripes or spots similar to a chipmunk. During the time we had Chipmunk, we also had laying hens. Then laying hens were fun. We loved the eggs that they laid, and even had plenty to occassionally sell to neighbors to earn money for our movie jar. We would put all the money we made from the eggs into a jar on the stove, and then when we had enough, we would got rent movies at the movie store.
Back to Chipmunk. As Chipmunk grew, he also became more aggressive. Much more aggressive. It got We were all scared of Chipmunk. When we went to collect eggs, we made sure Chipmunk wasn't around.
After a few months, or years, I am not sure, Chipmunk got too aggressive. We got to the point where we stored a baseball bat and 'muck boots' next to the door. When we wanted to go out to the trampoline, we would put on Dad's muck boots that went up to our knees, and carry the baseball bat. I am sure we took turns who had to go first with the bat. We would then sprint to the safety of the trampoline, and if Chipmunk attacked, we would hit at him with the bat.
Finally, I think Mom and Dad must have had enough. Or all of us kids did. Dad went out one day and took care of Chipmunk. I don't remember being at all sad that he was gone.
*Lesley*
No comments:
Post a Comment