Sunday, November 11, 2012

Water Rock

Dad has always had an interest in rocks. I remember when I was in sixth grade, Dad had found a rock that was 'very special' to him. It was really a cool rock. It looked somewhat like a horse shoe, but Dad explained to us how the rock was formed. It had obviously been stuck under dripping water for hundreds of years. The water had cut it's way through the rock. It was so cool and I remember thinking how great it was.

I remember asking Dad if I could take it to school for show and tell. Dad knew how fragile it was, but said that I could take it as long as I didn't break it. I wrapped it in paper towel and made sure it was safely tucked away in my backpack. I took it to school and took it out to show the class, and my heart fell to my stomach. It had broken.

I remember crying and feeling so terrible. I didn't want to go home and tell Dad what had happened. I worried about it all day and all the way home. I remember came home and told Mom, and she said that I shouldn't worry about it. That Dad would understand. I wasn't worried about getting in trouble, I was just sad that I had ruined something that I thought was so important to Dad. I got out some super glue and glued it together about as well as a sixth grader can. It looked pretty good, but you could see the line of glue going through the rock where it was broken.

When Dad came home I went up to him in tears and could hardly tell him what had happened. I remember he gave me the biggest hug and said he was so sorry that I had worried all day. He told me it was just a rock and made me feel so relieved. I remember being so grateful for my wonderful dad who could forgive me and completely make me feel better.

-Lesley

No comments:

Post a Comment