Sunday, May 6, 2012

Clayton Lake

Does everyone remember those special days when Dad got off work?  Dad was always working so hard at the store that the rare occasion that he got a day off to get away was a treat for us all.  We would find out in the evening that Dad was taking the day off.  He would ask us all what we wanted to do, and then convince us all that we wanted to go hiking.  the only real catch was that we all had to get up super early to be ready.

As a kid, super early is any time you do not wake up by yourself.  I remember hearing Mom wake me up those mornings and thinking, why can't we just go a little later?  We will hike fast and  we won't be so tired.  But Dad wanted to make the most out of his day.  We all piled in the old green Ford truck and would head up to the Clayton Lake trail head.  When we got there we took all of our supplies (homemade bread peanut butter sandwiches, m&ms, some apples, water, and mosquito spray) and head up the trail.

One time we were hiking up Clayton lake and I had just gotten a brand new bike with a GRAY water bottle.  We all thought my Gray water bottle was so cool.  It must have been an early in the year hike because as we were crossing a snow field it slipped out and fell in the creek below us.  I was so sad.

Another time early in the year we made it up to Clayton Lake and found tons of snow.  Then we proceeded to take some black garbage bags that were in Mom's backpack and sled down all the hills around the lake.

One time we found a domino shaped lure by an old camp site.  We thought it was the funniest lure and laughed about it as we carried that ridiculous thing all the way home.  Up until a few years ago we laughed about it, until we went on a fifty miler with Dad, Cameron, Brian, Lesley and I and met a group on the trail that gave us each one.  We caught the BIGGEST fish with them!  Wish we would have laughed and tried that lure earlier.

I also think this was the trail we saw the bear on.  He had turned over an old log as we were rounding the corner.

Dad use to carry a gun when we were little and hiking.

I loved drinking from all the little streams along the way.

Dad always took the lead and Mom always took the end.  I want to be just like my mom and take the end.  It was so nice to know there was always someone ahead and behind you.

Clayton Lake suffered a huge fire a few years ago.  Mom and Dad said it just isn't the same and to not go back for another few years.

When we were done hiking we would usually call for pizza as we drove home.  And every time we went out hiking, by the time we were at the trail head, I was so glad we had taken the effort and gotten up at the crack of dawn.

I continue to thank Dad and Mom everyday for the effort they went through to take us out and hiking.

Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment