Sunday, May 6, 2012

A Story About Grammy

I know there will probably be a lot of stories about our grandparents on here but I thought I would just write one little one right now, and add more later.

It was cousin day at our house.  Danny, Franny and Joe were all over, so there  was seven kids.  I know now as a parent how much work this must have taken.  Mom and Dad had arranged with Grammy to stay the night at our house so they could go somewhere.  I remember we had been playing outside all day and having so many adventures.  I remember seeing Grammy in the kitchen, probably making dinner (macaroni and nuggets.) All of us cousins got tired of playing outside so we were upstairs in between Lindsey and Ben's rooms. I was probably about seven at the time.  We were playing charades and acting out different plays.  I remember laughing and having so much fun...but then I must have somehow fallen asleep!  I know, crazy!  I remember waking up and being so surprised no one was upstairs with me and I was sitting up against an old couch that was in that room.  I went downstairs and everyone was eating.  Then I remember Grammy saying that since I was the only one that had taken a nap I could stay up one hour later with her and read some books.

Well, the day went on and our cousins all went home.  The four of us got ready for bed.  Then I got to watch Lesley, Ben and Lindsey all go off to bed.  I felt so special!  Even though I was really tired too.  I remember Grammy crawling into bed and then I grabbed a few books and crawled next to her.  Then she read me some stories.  While she was reading the stories I remember watching her face.  She was a great reader and read with a lot of expression.  We were almost done with the first book, and I had been watching her.  I remember seeing her eyes and thinking back to everything she had done that day.  Then I thought, Gram must be really tired, and I didn't even mean to take a nap.  When she finished the book and started picking up the next one I told her that I really only needed one book and that I was tired and we should both go to bed.  She smiled at me, and she said, "Thank you Lauren.  I really am tired tonight."  I felt so proud that in that little way I had also helped my Grandma that day.

Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment